The differences between HOPE and WISH
I. HOPE-WISH
1. HOPE
The word “hope” is used to talk about possible situations that we desire in the past, present or future. The important thing to note is that these situations are POSSIBLE. For example:
I hope you had a good time at the party last night.
I haven’t looked outside yet. I hope it’s not raining.
I hope you have a great day.
I hope you’re not going to go to the movie without me.
The last two examples are about the future. In English, we can use the future tense or the present tense after the word “hope” to talk about the future. Both are natural.
2. WISH
On the other hand, “wish” is used to talk about situations that we desire, but which are the opposite of the current reality or which are impossible. For example:
I wish I had a car. (In reality, I don’t have a car now, but I want one).
I wish I didn’t have to work tomorrow. (In reality, I have to work tomorrow, but I don’t want to).
-When we use wish + past perfect tense, we are talking about regrets we have from the past. For example:
I wish I hadn’t gone to the party. (In reality, I went to the party, and now I regret it).
I wish I had studied harder in school. (In reality, I didn’t study hard in school, and now I regret it).
We can use wish + would + verb to talk about situations that often happen in our lives that we don’t like. For example:
I wish my husband would help me clean the house. (In reality, my husband never helps me clean the house, and I don’t like it).
I wish my children wouldn’t play their music so loudly. (In reality, my children play their music very loudly, and I don’t like it).
-We can also use wish + noun to talk about things that we desire for other people. In these cases, the meaning of  “wish” is more similar to “hope”. This way of using “wish”, however, is much less common that the other ways. For example:
We wish you a merry Christmas. (The meaning is: We hope you have a merry Christmas).
Finally, we can use wish + the infinitive form of a verb (this is means “to” + the base form). In these cases, the meaning of “wish” has the same meaning as “want”, but it is more formal. For example:
I wish to see your boss right away.
We don’t have a table available right now. Do you wish to wait?

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét